Monday, November 10, 2008

My Vintage Sound System

You know a lot of the older stereo equipment from the 70s really rivals even today's systems, when it comes to quality of sound, especially if you compare a high quality system playing vinyl, compared to CDs.
So, I have been doing a bit of ebay shopping to acquire some equipment. One of the first things I ordered was an old amp, the Marantz 1060. What I would really love, eventually, is a sweet looking tube amp. I love the look of those things. And some audiophiles will tell you that a tube amp gives a slightly more pleasing, warmer sound than a normal amp. I've heard good things about the 1060. I am planning on replacing the current fake-wood case with a custom real-wood case, probably walnut or cherry.

I also bought some used Advent 5002 speakers from a local guy. They sound amazing. It looks like the tweeters have been replaced, so I can't be sure what exactly they sounded like originally. Probably sounds obvious, but it's incredible listening to music on good speakers. It makes you want to listen to music as an event in and of itself, rather than something to be in the background, while doing other activities. In a lot of ways, music has become background filler in our current way of life, as noted here.

And yet, vinyl is actually growing in popularity again. In fact, U2 has been issuing remasters of their albums recently, and they are releasing them on CD and 180 gram Vinyl. I have found myself on a vinyl "kick" lately, and I can't wait to get a turntable set up.

I have been trying to get one of two turntables: The Dual 1229 or Dual 1219. My dad owned a 1229 for 30 years and said it was the best turntable he ever owned. It's been challenging to get a decent one on ebay, as they are typically pushing $200. You can buy completely tuned refurbished ones from www.fixmydual.com, but they run closer to $400. Add a really nice cartridge and stylus on top that and it can be $150-200 more.

So I'm still working on that one.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Andy, get with the times.

The best music is hidden in 200 GB of harddrive (that may crash...) on a tiny player. It is best to put a thousand hours of music onto something that can be destroyed with a spec of dust on the disc.

It is also best to compress them to fit more. I recommend Morse code for most music. It does take out some of the warmth of actual sound, but I get the message. M-U-S-I-C-P-L-A-Y-I-N-G.

For others, beyond the simple compression in MP3's, they prefer the mere intro notes, then they can humm the rest of the song. We all know them anyway.

All this beeping and lurching sound is best heard of a pair of 0.002" diameter speakers placed right in the ear. You will really feel the bass and warmth of the tones. These usually cost $0.32 to manufacture and cost $20 at walmart. SOme new models boast a bandwidth of 23hz, so you get both the high tones of 4067Hz and the low tones near 4044Hz. MMM... yeah!!!

Oh, and your new model just got outdated five minutes after you bought it by a new model that is implantable in your ear drum and holds 5000Tb of music.

And finally Vynly... Any word that connot be spelled by normal people must be come cacenogen stuff, it scares me. We should call vlynlly records "assault records" or "semi-automatic albums" Ya know make it sound scary, then we can outlaw them.

One more thing.. Wooden boxes??? Isn't Wood made from Wood? I think that comes from trees or something.

Well I have to go use the tube.

Later, Robin

Mage said...

Oh, Robin is soooooo funny. And we went to such effort to rid ourselves of all that....except two giant speakers.

Anonymous said...

Andy & Robin - what a great combo! Love, MOM