Thursday, December 11, 2008

Website Idea

Today I had a great idea for a website.

I was driving around town, looking to buy a new Christmas tree stand. Wal-mart was out; Lowe's was out; Home Depot was a no-go...
And that's when I thought...
Wouldn't be great if there was a website, where I could type in an item and my zip code, and have a list of all the local stores that carry that item!
What a good idea. I think I would call it... shoplocal.com
And then I got home, and guess what happened...
Yup, it already exists and does exactly that.

The only problem is that it doesn't tell you if the items are in stock, so you still have to call around.

3 comments:

Mage said...

Stop by your local thrift store.....they always have a lot this time of year....for pennies too. :)

Unknown said...

Thank you for using shoplocal.com, that's how we like to use it ourselves! I tried a search for "Christmas tree stand" in Chicago, found 19 responses (http://www.shoplocal.com/chicago/searchlocal.aspx?searchtext=Christmas%20tree%20stand) from at least 8 retailers with nearby stores (JC Penney, Wal-mart, Home Depot, Sears at the top, with Ace, Target, and a K-Mart sales further down the page).

We'd love to include more information about what's actually in stock at the store, and we do add it to the site whenever we can get it from the retailer. In the meantime, we do the next best thing by including each store's phone number.

Hope you found your tree stand!

Anonymous said...

Now you sure have a great stand and fine fresh Oregon trees to put in the stand. That was a superb idea you had. Love, MOM